Sunday, November 16, 2008

Dr. B

So today I find myself thinking WAY too much about what tomorrow's meeting with the Oncologist will bring, so I've decided to blog a little to get my mind off it. I thought I'd tell a little story about my Plastic Surgeon, "Dr. B".

First let me say that Dr. B is a Jewish New Yorker who was raised in Miami and fits that profile in every stereotypical sense! He has a bit of a sway, a bit of a swagger, a bit of moxie and LOADS of charisma. He's also an exceptional plastic surgeon and it was very easy for me to select him to do my reduction. I've heard him referred to as "The Boob Man of the Midwest" many a time.

On the day of my surgery, Dr. B was "marking me up" for surgery. (a process that took 30 minuts and resulted with my chest looking like something from Rand McNally)! Somehow we got to talking about professional dress and how it had changed over they years, etc, etc. He then told me about his "leather pant phase" that went on for 3 months. He wore leather pants every single day. Now this guy is about 60 and has been in practice for over 30 years, so I asked, I thought reasonably: "Oh, that was in the 80's, huh?". "Oh no! He says, it was 2 -3 years ago". Before I could wrap my head around that one, he then went on to tell mother and I that when his wife was pregnant (5 years ago), he gained a lot of weight and took to wearing his wife's MATERNITY JEANS! "They were great," he said, "except kind of a pain when you had to use the bathroom."

Yep, this is the man that I let carve on my chest while under anesthesia!

Good thing brilliance can manifest itself in very different ways! :)

Love and hope,
Margaret

No comments: